Hwange Accommodation |
Miombo Safari Camp
Miombo Safari Camp
Miombo Safari Camp is so close to the Hwange National Park boundary that game moves through their small private concession, with elephants, buffalo and on occasion the resident lion pride coming to drink at the waterhole in front of the camp
One of the elevated tented rooms
Miombo Safari Camp is located just outside the Hwange National Park, on the tar road between the local town Dete and the Main park entrance. As the crow flies, it is only a few kilometres from the National Park boundary and as Hwange has no boundary fences wildlife moves in and out of the park freely. Miombo being positioned so close to the boundary means that game can and does move through their private concession, with elephants, buffalo and on occasion the resident lion pride coming to drink at the waterhole in front of the camp.
So Miombo is still a wild camp but clients should be aware that it is positioned on a main road and not far from the town of Dete. This location is reflected in the price, as this camp offers more reasonable rates than some other camps situated inside the National Park.
For a full safari experience, you will need to drive the 20 kilometres to enter the Hwange National Park via the main entrance gate. This trip along the tar road can be a game drive in itself as various species of animal are often seen.
The Hwange National park speaks for itself and although you will not be on a private concession, offered by some other high end camps, you will still have the opportunity of seeing plenty of spectacular wildlife.
The camp offers three types of accommodation. Four spacious tents recently erected bring a great combination of simple luxury and comfort, each with an en-suite bathroom. Raised up on 8 foot high platforms, your private veranda is a great place to relax and view the waterhole which is the main focus of the camp.
Two tree-houses part of the old camp, have been refurbished and re-decorated. These rooms, although smaller, each have their own en-suite bathroom facilities and all the basic luxuries needed for a more rustic safari.
Finally there are four small 'rondavels'. These brick and thatch rooms are set further back in the forest at ground level and although quite rustic also have en-suite facilities.
The main lounge/dining area of the camp is under a beautiful high thatched roof, making it cool during the hot months. The large pool is also a consideration for the summer months, being shaded under the large Teak trees towering over the camp, the refreshingly cold water is very welcomed in the heat of the day.
• Located just outside Hwange National Park
• Wild animals move in and out of their private concession as there is no fencing
• On a main road close to Dete
• Three types of accommodation - elevated tented suites, rondavels and tree-houses
• Rates are affordable - good for clients on a budget
• Two hours from Victoria Falls, three hours from Bulawayo
• Ideal for self-drive
Accommodation• 4 Elevated tented suites (1 Honeymoon, 3 standard) with double or twin beds
• 2 Thatched treehouses, one with a double bed and one with twin beds
• 4 Rondavels with double or twin beds
All rooms have:• En-suite bathrooms with flush toilet and shower
• Wardrobe or storage space
• Veranda with chairs and table (elevated suites only)
• Mosquito nets
Advantages• Close to main road, Hwange Main Camp, and Hwange Airport - easily accessible
• A range of accommodation available from cheap thatched chalets to more expensive elevated tents
• An easy drive from either Bulawayo or Victoria Falls
Disadvantages• Not in a prime location - a full safari experience can only be had by driving into Hwange National Park, although the entrance to the park is only 20 kilometres from Miombo Camp
Dining• There is a dining area under the thatched main lodge
• Al fresco dining can also be arranged
Facilities and Services• 240V Electricity supply
• Hair dryer
• Swimming pool
• Main lodge with reception and guest lounge, dining area and bar
• Fire pit
• Water hole
• Barbeque facilities in central area
• Morning and afternoon game drives in Hwange National Park, night drives on Miombo's private concession
• Guided nature walks
• Visit to a local village
• Visit to Painted Dog Centre
Fully Inclusive Rates Include• Accommodation
• All meals and local drinks
• 2 Game activities per day
Fully Inclusive Rates Exclude• Hwange National Park fees
How to Get There
• Self-drive - 300kms from Bulawayo or 200kms from Victoria Falls
• Fly-in - Hwange Airport is 10 minutes from Miombo Safari Camp and is accessible via road transfer.
Children• Children are welcome.
• Children under 2 stay free. Children 2 to 12 pay 40%, and children 13 to 18 pay 60% of the adult rate.
• Only 1 child sharing with an adult permitted in each room.
Share with others!
Can't find what you are looking for? Use Google Search to search this
site for any term you are looking for..