Kariba Houseboats | OB Joyful Houseboat
OB Joyful Houseboat
Moored at Kariba
Breezes in Kariba, semi-luxurious
Kariba Houseboat at a good price
This is a semi-luxury houseboat, great as a self-catering option, even though you can outsource a catering firm
PRICE before special
Approximate price per
||US$ 395 (Self Catering)
The OB Joyful houseboat can probably be classed as semi-luxurious houseboat, the sleeping
cabins and enclosed living areas are nicely finished off in wood panelling and
they are all air-conditioned but it doesn't have the luxuriously furnished
saloons of the Catalina or
The OB Joyful is a traditional "pontoon" Kariba houseboat which makes
travelling a bit slower, but the advantage is the wide-open decks and plenty of
space to relax and enjoy bird and game viewing, as well as the scenery. The OB
Joyful is able to sleep 8 people in air-conditioned cabins which is it's
advantage over The Abangane - that is, if
you want to sleep in cabins.
It's a really nice houseboat at an affordable price and is mostly hired out
on a self-catering basis, but a fully catered service can be arrange through an
The OB Joyful Houseboat is fully serviced with a crew of four to take care of your every need. The crew consists of a captain who has an excellent reputation on Kariba, a chef, a deck hand and a cabin attendant. The OB Joyful undergoes ongoing extensive maintenance and upgrading to pontoons, generators, main motors, propellers, rudders and gearboxes. New air-conditioners have been installed. New linen has been supplied. Current seaworthy certificate.
Read more about Kariba and a Houseboat holiday
Accommodation on OB Joyful Houseboat
• 2 air-conditioned double cabins with showers en-suite (lower deck)
• 2 air-conditioned double cabins with hand basins (upper deck)
• 1 separate bathroom with bath, toilet and hand basin (lower deck)
• Separate toilet and separate shower (upper deck)
Remember that the air conditioners only run when the generators are on, and the generator is turned off at 10pm as per lake regulations.
• Licensed to carry 23 persons inclusive of 4 crew members. However, no more than 14 passengers (excluding crew) are recommended for comfort.
• 23 metres x 8 metres - upper and lower decks
The Lower Deck
• Crew’s quarters
• 2 double air-conditioned cabins with showers en-suite, 1 separate bathroom with bath, toilet and hand basin
• The wood panelled kitchen, saloon and breakfast nook is fully air-conditioned
• Aft deck with table and chairs, deep freeze, bottle cooler and Bermuda deck
The Upper Deck
• The forward deck has a nice Jacuzzi (heated if necessary) and several sun loungers for those just wanting to chill out, relax and catch a suntan while cruising along the lake
• Wheelhouse plus 2 double air-conditioned cabins with hand basins
• Separate toilet and separate shower
• A large under cover aft deck with 2 tables and chairs, Bar, Large fridge/Bottle cooler
• This Deck accommodates 14 mattresses for those wishing to sleep out and not in their cabins
• Mosquito nets are provided
• 2 x 40hp tender boats
• 1 x fishing pontoon
• Fishing gear is not supplied, please bring your own
The Upper Deck of the OB Joyful
Houseboat has tables and chairs, bar, large fridge/bottle cooler, plus plenty of mattresses and
mosquito nets for those wanting to sleep in the open.
• Generator with 220 V power supply to run all electrical appliances
• Plug points are square so clients to bring adaptors if necessary. There is also a cigarette lighter in the bar where phones and camera batteries can be charged
• Bar - fully equipped
• Jacuzzi on upper deck
• Braais - Wood/Charcoal braai on board that will be taken onto shore when needed. Charcoal to be supplied by client unless on a catered charter.
• Laundry - Washing and Ironing of clothes can be done at $5 per load which is payable to the Chef before washing is done. Washing powder, soap and fabric softener to be supplied by Client.
• Tender Boats: 3 Tenders, 2 x speed boats and 1 x Pontoon (There is a 4th tender available at $80 per day which does include its own driver).
• Life Jackets: available and stored on the Houseboat
The 2 tender boats that accompany the houseboat
Boarding times - Embark 12 noon and disembark 10am
OB Joyful Houseboat Charter Prices 2017
Self catering cost of charter is US$ 395 (February &
March special) / US$ 435 (low season) / US$ 485 (high season -
Easter, Aug long weekend, Tiger Tournament dates & 1st Dec 2017 to 10th Jan
2018) per night.
Excluding: Diesel, petrol, drinks and food which are for client’s account.
Catering is outsourced and catering information is available on request and is
quoted according to client requirements
• A deposit of 50% is required before booking can be confirmed and is required within 21 days of provisional booking. The remaining 50% is due 7 days before clients board OB Joyful
• Refund Policy: - 25% non-refundable in cash. However, this will be held
for a further booking from the same client within a 12 month period. - 50%
non-refundable if booking cancelled 7 days or less prior to boarding - 75%
non-refundable if booking cancelled 48 hours or less prior to boarding.
Included in the Boat Hire:
Use of Houseboat and tender boats, the 4 crew members, bedding, linen, mosquito nets, towels, cutlery, crockery, cleaning materials, soap, toilet paper and rations for the crew.
15% Sales tax and 2% tourism levy
Zimbabwe National Parks Fees 2017
These are not included in the Charter fee and are payable to the Parks representatives at the boat prior to embarkation. Parks officials may board the boat at any stage to check that payments are accurate and have been properly receipted. You may wish to let us know in advance exactly who is coming, relevant ages, residential status and how many people will be fishing, which we will pass on via the boat captain to save time before you embark.
|Houseboat including tenders per person/day (covers 5 days)
|Visiting speedboats per person/day
|Children under 6 years
|Children 6 to 12 years
||50% Adult rate
|Resident pensioners over 60 years
||50% Adult rate
|Fishing fees per person/day
[Top of Page]
Share with others!
Can't find what you are looking for? Use Google Search to search this
site for any term you are looking for..
The Vic Falls Bush
our Free Quarterly E-Newsletter
Each quarter there's loads of information about conservation and
wildlife, a destination update, specials offers and discount packages,
traveller tips and stories, book reviews, African folktales,
environmental reports, bush recipes, best photo competitions and tons
"Your newsletter keeps me informed about new and old and is the best
I've seen in a long while - informative, not commercial, just plain
This Quarter we are also giving away a Free Screensaver to Every
Return from OB Joyful Houseboat to our Victoria Falls home page