Vic Falls Accommodation | Sikumi Tree Lodge
Sikumi Tree Lodge
A Lodge with a View
IntroductionSikumi Tree Lodge is a well known safari lodge that has been operating on its private estate on the Dete Vlei, just outside Hwange National Park, 180kms from Victoria Falls. The Dete Vlei is renowned for its beautiful scenery and excellent game viewing.
Safari holidays these days anywhere in Africa are normally extremely expensive, the best areas are normally occupied by five star lodges which tend to charge exorbitant prices, which is very unfortunate for the middle of the road family. Well do not despair, Sikumi Tree Lodge is ideal for anyone looking to see Africa at its best but doesn't want to camp or self cater but is also not concerned with the bells and whistles of a luxury camp.
Don't get me wrong, you will be thoroughly spoilt here, the food and the staff are great but because it is not five star luxury the price is affordable, in fact it is priced exactly right.
Guests at Sikumi Tree lodge are housed in comfortable & clean thatched wooden tree houses up amongst the branches of Mangwe trees. All have en-suite bathrooms and all have views across the pool toward the waterhole and vlei grassland, flanked by Teak forests.
The waterhole in front of the Sikumi restaurant and lounge is only 20m away and a constant stream of animals throughout the day and night take their turn in having a drink. It's a joy to relax and watch this national geographic documentary play live in front of you. The herbivores ever wary of the many carnivores.
At night the waterhole is illuminated, so seated at dinner the live show continues. On my last visit there two big male lions came down to drink in the early evening and then settled in the darkness just out of the rim of light, but they continued to roar late into the night advising us of their presence.
A herd of elephants noisily trumpeted and cavorted around the waterhole throughout our evening meal, they seemed so close, almost as if they were going to join us for dinner, it was a very memorable experience.
Game drives are taken on their private estate, which is a classic example of the Hwange forested dune ridge and grassland vlei ecotone which is found in the Main Camp area.
It should really have be included in the area under the protection of the National Park! However its exclusion is to the advantage of the safari tourist, with lower reserve fees and the opportunity to undertake night drives on the estate. There is no boundary fence between this private estate and the National park and game wanders freely between the two.
The area has been well watched over the years and returned regular sightings of lion, cheetah, buffalo, black-backed jackal and wild dog amongst more common sightings of Sable, Elephant, Zebra, Giraffe and various other antelope species.
Hwange is also known for its birds, with over 400 species being recorded within the area. The Dete Vlei is again no exception, and is not only a good place to find outstanding resident species such as the various species of Ground Hornbill and Secretary bird, but also offers the chance to find passing migrants at the right time of year.
Summary• Big Five Game viewing on a private concession adjacent to Hwange National Park, game roams freely between the two.
• Aimed at the middle of the road traveller, wanting to see big game in Africa. Not top end Luxury but more than comfortable.
• Tree house design of rooms offer a unique safari experience.
• Waterhole in front of Sikumi Tree Lodge offers excellent game viewing throughout the day and night.
• 180kms from Victoria Falls, roads transfers are available.
• Private air charters to Hwange airport.
• 9 x Twin/Double tree houses
• 4 x Family tree houses
• Central Lounge / Bar area
• Open air viewing area with lounge chairs overlooking waterhole
All rooms have:
• En suite bathrooms with hot and cold running water
Dining• Open air dining room constructed of stone and thatch, overlooking waterhole.
• Internal dining room for bad weather.
Advantages• Private concession
• No park fees
• Night drives
• Adjacent to Hwange national park for anyone specifically wanting to enter the park.
• Top safari area yet at an affordable price
• Waterhole only 20m in front of camp, very busy with wildlife.
• Discreet electrified fence surrounds the camp to keep wild animals out
• Small and intimate camp
• Personal service
• Managers Brian and Marleen are excellent hosts
• Tree houses offer unique accommodation style
• Easy access by road
• Swimming Pool for those really hot days
Facilities and Services
• Under 4 years Free
Please click on any of the pictures of Sikumi Tree Lodge - they will enlarge in a new window
Share with others!
Can't find what you are looking for? Use Google Search to search this
website for any term you are looking for.