Zambia Covid19 Requirements
2nd September 2021
These are the latest details that we are aware of regarding travel to Zambia, during Covid-19.
We live in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, and will update this page with any amendments that we become aware of.
• All scheduled and non-scheduled international flights to all Airports are open.
• All passengers coming from international flights need to present a negative SARS CoV-2 PCR test result. The test should be conducted within the previous 72 hours.
• Entry screening will be conducted at all airports. All travellers entering the airport will be subjected to temperature and symptom screening.
• In addition to the above, all travellers from "High Risk" Countries will be tested for Covid-19 by PCR
test upon arrival into Zambia (approx USD$50.00 per person subject to change,
and payable by the traveller). These travellers will only be subject to 14-day quarantine if they have a positive result for COVID.
If they receive a
negative result or have proof of vaccine, they will be exempt from 14 day mandatory
quarantine. However, while awaiting results, they must isolate in their
lodgings. If travellers from 'High-Risk Countries' can prove they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, they will not be required to isolate pending their test results.
transit through High Risk Countries are not considered high risk if the transit time is less than 24 hrs.
The list of "High-Risk" countries that will be required to undergo SARS CoV-2
PCR testing on arrival are as follows - as stated by Ministry of Foreign Affairs
& Zambia National Public Health Institute (ZNPHI). The list will be reviewed and
• Traveller's Health Questionnaires will be provided at all designated ports of entry, aircrafts, Zambian Embassies
or High Commissioners' websites. These will be completed at the port of entry or pre-filled on board a vessel (aircraft, car, truck, bus, etc.) in ENGLISH. The completed forms should be surrendered to port health staff upon entry. Staff will review the questionnaires for completeness.
• Any symptomatic traveller will be tested and quarantined at their home or in a designated government facility until they
receive their results. Travellers who test positive will be managed according to the National Covid-19 Case Management Guidelines. Travellers who test negative but are symptomatic will be discharged from quarantine and advised to seek medical care.
• Travellers going to Zambia with a negative PCR test certificate will be allowed to conduct their business or touring, and will adhere to national public health guidelines in place. Those without a negative PCR test will not be allowed into Zambia.
• Children below the age of 5 years will not be required to produce a PCR test.
• Travellers are to adhere to WHO COVID-19 standard practices at all times, such as maintaining social distancing, wearing a mask in public and practicing personal hygiene.
• Shopping is open. Restaurants and bars are open with restrictions.
• If you are staying in Zambia and your PCR certificate expires according to the requirements of your onward destination. PCR tests are available at
Provincial Covid-19 testing centres, Zambia National Public Health Institute,
the Centre for Infectious Disease Research central lab, Medland Hospital in
Lusaka, Victoria Hospital in Lusaka. In Livingstone, testing can be done at the airport through Ministry of Health or the private ProMed. Testing
is also available at some of the lodges
and will be delivered within 24 hours. The costs of these tests will depend on
the testing site.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does one have to go into mandatory quarantine on arrival?
This is a requirement
if you have tested positive on arrival. Otherwise, you only have to go into isolation if you are tested positive whilst in
Zambia. If you are coming from a High Risk Country, and you are without a
vaccination certificate and negative PCR test, you will need to be tested and
await your results in quarantine.
Can one get a PCR test done in Zambia?
Yes, PCR tests are available at
testing facilities mentioned above and at the airports. In Livingstone some of the
hotels/lodges offer or
can arrange PCR tests for their clients.
How much does a PCR test cost?
The average price for a PCR test is $50
to $120. The costs of the tests are US$55 per person through the Ministry of Health
(taking 24 to 48 hours) and US$120 per person through ProfMed (with results
within 24 hours). Only cash payments are accepted.
What will happen if a traveller gets infected while in the country?
They are required to go into an isolation centre for 14 days. This will be at the traveller's own expense.
Does Zambia have a high rate of Corona virus infections?
The death rate attributed to the corona virus is very low at about
0.019% of the population as of the date of this article.
Flight Schedule to Zambia
International Flights to Livingstone
• Kenya Airways – flies Nairobi to Livingstone to Cape Town return
• SA Airlink – Nelspruit to Livingstone every Tuesday and Saturday.
• SA Airlink – Johannesburg to Livingstone every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
International Flights to Lusaka
• Emirates – flies Dubai to Lusaka return on Sundays, Mondays,
Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
• Ethiopian Airlines – flies Addis to Lusaka on Tuesdays, Thursdays
• SA Airlink – flies Johannesburg to Lusaka daily.
• South African Airlines - will resume daily return Johannesburg-Lusaka flights on 23rd September 2021.
• Proflight – flies Johannesburg to Lusaka on Sundays, Mondays,
Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
• Kenya Airways – flies Nairobi to Lusaka in Sundays, Mondays,
Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
• Qatar Airways – flies Doha to Lusaka on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.
Here's information on Botswana's
Here's information on
Zimbabwe's Covid-19 Updates
[Top of Page]
||Are you flying into Victoria Falls or Livingstone Airport?
Book your Accommodation and Activities with Victoria Falls Guide and receive free airport transfers.
THE VIC FALLS BUSH TELEGRAPH
our Bi-Monthly E-Newsletter
Each issue has a destination update, loads of information about conservation and wildlife, specials offers, traveller tips, community projects, website highlights and tons more...
Find our more about our Bush Telegraph
"Your newsletter keeps me informed about new and old and is the best I've seen in a long while - informative, not commercial, just plain perfect!"
Don't worry. Your e-mail address is totally secure. I promise to use it
only to send you The Vic Falls Bush Telegraph.
Return from Zambia Covid19 Requirements to our home page