Zimbabwe Covid19 Latest Travel News
13th April 2021
These are the latest details that we are aware of regarding travel to Zimbabwe, during Covid-19.
We live in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe and will update this page with any amendments that we become aware of.
*On the 17th March, the government of Zimbabwe further relaxed the lockdown
rules owing to the drop in covid-19 cases in the country. The rules are now as
• Zimbabwe's international airports remain open to receive international travellers.
• Zimbabwe's land borders remain closed,
except for transportation of goods and returning residents.
• Travelling by air or road within Zimbabwe's borders is now permitted. Proof of
reason for travel is no longer required.
• Victoria Falls National Park is still open for visitors to see the waterfall.
Normal opening hours apply.
Most hotels and lodges in Victoria Falls remain open.
Restaurants in Zimbabwe are now allowed to operate at 50% capacity, and under
strict adherence to Covid-19 guidelines. Bars will remain closed.
Restaurants can still do take-aways and deliveries.
• Some activities are open in Victoria Falls.
• Please check
with us for the exact details on the above.
Arriving By Air
• All passengers arriving at Harare, Bulawayo or Victoria Falls International Airports are required to present a negative PCR COVID-19 Clearance Certificate obtained within 48 hours of boarding. Passengers can then proceed unless the officials believe a traveller to be symptomatic. They then may be required to undergo a further PCR test on arrival at the travellers own cost ($60).
• An Airport Official may also take passengers' temperatures. Anyone recording a temperature equal to or higher than 38°C will be tested for COVID-19.
• Travellers that test positive will then be required to go into local isolation for 10 days if they have no symptoms, or 13 days if they are symptomatic. Isolation is at the traveller's own expense.
• After isolation, travellers will need to be retested before they are permitted to travel home or on to their next destination.
• Travellers are to adhere to WHO COVID-19 standard practices at all times, such as maintaining social distancing, wearing a mask in public and practicing personal hygiene.
Arriving Through A Land Border
• Temporarily restricted to transportation of goods and returning residents
• If you are staying in Zimbabwe and your PCR certificate expires according to the requirements of your onward destination. PCR tests are available at all international airports, with result being returned within
3 to 6 hrs. In Victoria Falls test are available at some of the lodges or at the
Health Bridge clinic in the town centre.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does one have to go into mandatory quarantine on arrival?
No, this is no longer a requirement. You only have to go into isolation if you are tested positive whilst in Zimbabwe.
Can one get a PCR test done in Zimbabwe?
Yes, PCR tests are available at Harare, Bulawayo and Victoria Falls international airports. They are also available at most clinics and hospitals throughout Zimbabwe. In Victoria Falls even some of the
hotels and lodges offer PCR tests for their clients.
How much does a PCR test cost?
The average price for a PCR test is $60
How long does it take to get the results?
The results are on average taking
3 to 6 hrs.
What will happen if a traveller gets infected while in the country?
They are required to go into an isolation centre for 10 days if they have no COVID-19 symptoms or 13 days if they are symptomatic. This will be at the traveller's own expense.
Are there curfew hours in Zimbabwe?
Yes, there is a curfew from 22h00 to 05h30.
Does Zimbabwe have a high rate of Corona virus infections?
It is difficult to compare the numbers of cases with other countries as the amount of testing done in Zimbabwe is very few comparatively. However, the death rate attributed to the corona virus is very low at about 0.01% of the population as of the date of this article.
Victoria Falls itself has seen comparatively very little evidence of the corona virus.
Flight Schedule to Zimbabwe
International Flights to Victoria Falls
• Ethiopian Airlines – no flights
at the moment
• Kenya Airways – flies Nairobi
to Victoria Falls return on Fridays
• FastJet – flies Johannesburg to Victoria Falls on Tuesdays, Thursdays
and Sundays. Daily flights will begin on 30th May 2021.
• Mackair – daily flights between Victoria Falls and Kasane airports
starting on 1st May 2021.
• BA Comair – Johannesburg to Victoria Falls on Thursdays and
Sundays. Daily flights begin on 1st June 2021.
Domestic Flights to Victoria Falls
• Air Zimbabwe – no flights at
• FastJet – flies Harare to Victoria Falls return every Tuesday,
Friday and Sunday
• FastJet – flies Harare to Bulawayo return daily except on Saturdays
International Flights to Harare
• Emirates – flies Dubai to Harare return on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and
Sunday. Saturday flight will begin from June 5th 2021.
• Ethiopian Airlines – flies Addis to Harare return daily.
• SA Airlink – flies Johannesburg to Harare
(and Bulawayo) return daily. Also daily flights between Cape Town and Harare.
• BA Comair – daily return Johannesburg to Harare flights.
• Kenya Airways – flies Nairobi to Harare return 4 days a week (some flights via Lusaka).
• FastJet – operates two daily return flights from Johannesburg to Harare.
[Top of Page]
THE VIC FALLS BUSH TELEGRAPH
our Bi-Monthly E-Newsletter
Each issue has a destination update, loads of information about conservation and wildlife, specials offers, traveller tips, community projects, website highlights and tons more...
Find our more about our Bush Telegraph
"Your newsletter keeps me informed about new and old and is the best I've seen in a long while - informative, not commercial, just plain perfect!"
Don't worry. Your e-mail address is totally secure. I promise to use it
only to send you The Vic Falls Bush Telegraph.
Return from Zimbabwe Covid19 Latest Travel News to our home page