Zimbabwe Covid19 Latest Travel News
8th June 2021
These are the latest details that we are aware of regarding travel to Zimbabwe, during Covid-19.
We live in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe and will update this page with any amendments that we become aware of.
• There is NO Mandatory Quarantine for travellers arriving in Zimbabwe, except and
only for travellers
who have arrived or transited through India (see more details below)
• Zimbabwe's international airports are open to receive international travellers.
• Zimbabwe's land borders remain closed,
except for transportation of goods and returning residents.
• Travelling by air or road within Zimbabwe's borders is permitted. Proof of
reason for travel is no longer required.
• Victoria Falls National Park and other national parks around the
country are open.
Normal opening hours apply.
Most hotels and lodges in Victoria Falls remain open.
• Restaurants in Zimbabwe are allowed to operate at 50% capacity, and under
strict adherence to Covid-19 guidelines. Bars remain closed until further notice.
Restaurants can offer take-aways and deliveries.
• Some activities are open in Victoria Falls.
• Please check
with us for the exact details on the above.
Arriving By Air
• All passengers arriving at Harare, Bulawayo or Victoria Falls International Airports are required to present a negative PCR COVID-19 Clearance Certificate obtained within
48 hours of boarding. Passengers can then proceed unless the officials believe a traveller to be symptomatic,
or unless the traveller has arrived from or via India (please see the notes
below). They then may be required to undergo a further PCR test on arrival at the travellers own cost ($60).
• All passengers are required to complete a COVID-19 contact-tracing document on arrival.
• An Airport Official may also take passengers' temperatures. Anyone recording a temperature equal to or higher than 38°C will be tested for COVID-19
at their expense.
• Travellers that test positive will then be required to go into local isolation for 10 days. Isolation is at the traveller's own expense.
• After isolation, travellers will need to be retested before they are permitted to travel home or on to their next destination.
• Travellers flying into Zimbabwe can overnight for up to 30 days before a road transfer or a flight out of the country.
• Travellers are to adhere to WHO COVID-19 standard practices at all times, such as maintaining social distancing, wearing a mask in public and practicing personal hygiene.
Arriving Through A Land Border
• Temporarily restricted to transportation of goods and returning residents.
• Travellers can only enter through a land border if they are transiting
Zimbabwe and are flying out on the same day. They
have produce a printed version of their departure flight
for the same day. Travellers arriving in Zimbabwe by road cannot overnight in
• Departing guests must show their negative PCR test upon entering the airport, and they are not permitted to enter without this. If you are staying in Zimbabwe and your PCR certificate expires
you will need to be re-tested before departure. PCR tests are available at all international airports. In Victoria Falls tests are
also available at some of the lodges, the
Health Bridge clinic and Lancet Laboratories in the town centre, at a cost of
$60 on weekdays and $70 on weekends. Results generally take 2 to 6 hours but we
suggest allowing 24 hours for comfort.
Should a guest test positive after this test, they are required to go into an isolation centre for ten days. Travellers will be retested after five days.
Isolation will be at the traveller's expense. They can isolate at a Government facility, or if the property they are staying at has an isolation room, they can opt to stay there.
Applicable law regarding travellers arriving from or via India
*On 31st May, the government of Zimbabwe enforced an amendment to the
statutory instrument regarding Covid-19, with separate rules for travellers
coming from India.
(i) anyone arriving from India or has transited
through India in the course of his or her
journey to Zimbabwe submit to being
retested (at his or her own expense) for
COVID-19, and if—
A. found to be positive be taken to
an isolation centre at the direction
of an enforcement officer (and all
reasonable expenses associated with
the isolation shall be borne by the
isolated person); or
B. found to be negative, be quarantined
in a hotel (designated for the purpose
by an enforcement officer) at his
or her own expense, for a period
of 10 days from date of arrival in
Zimbabwe (at the end of which
period he or she shall submit to being
retested for COVID-19 at his or her
own expense by or at the direction
of an enforcement officer);"
Frequently Asked Questions
Does one have to go into mandatory quarantine on arrival?
is no mandatory quarantine, except and only if you have travelled from or via India. Otherwise, you only have to go into isolation if you are tested positive whilst in Zimbabwe.
Can one get a PCR test done in Zimbabwe and Where?
Yes, PCR tests are available at Harare, Bulawayo and Victoria Falls international airports. They are also available at most clinics and hospitals throughout Zimbabwe. In Victoria Falls,
the Lancet Laboratories and The Health Bridge do PCR tests. Even some of the
hotels and lodges offer PCR tests for their clients.
How much does a PCR test cost?
The average price for a PCR test is $60
on weekdays and $70 on weekends. Prices may differ depending on the testing centre.
How long does it take to get the results?
The results are on average taking
2 to 6 hrs, but we do suggest, if possible to allow 24hours for comforts sake.
What will happen if a traveller gets infected while in the country?
They are required to go into an isolation centre for 10 days,
this will be at the traveller's own expense. Travellers will be retested after
five days. They can isolate at a Government facility, or if the property they
are staying at has an isolation room, they can opt to stay there.
Are there curfew hours in Zimbabwe?
Yes, there is a curfew from 22h00 to 05h30.
Does Zimbabwe have a high rate of Corona virus infections?
It is difficult to compare the numbers of cases with other countries as the amount of testing done in Zimbabwe is very few comparatively. However, the death rate attributed to the corona virus is very low at about 0.01% of the population as of the date of this article.Victoria
Falls itself has seen comparatively very little evidence of the corona virus.
Can I fly into Livingstone Airport and out of Victoria Falls Airport?
Essentially yes but you cannot overnight in Zimbabwe you have to depart on the
same day. You have to be in transit and produce a printed version of your departure flight for the same day. This means that you will need a negative PCR certificate before crossing the border into Zimbabwe.
Flight Schedule to Zimbabwe
International Flights to Victoria Falls
• Ethiopian Airlines – return Addis Ababa - Victoria Falls flights every
Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
• Kenya Airways – flights from Nairobi to Victoria Falls on Tuesdays. Monday and
Friday flights begin 5th July.
• FastJet – flies Johannesburg to Victoria Falls daily return.
• Mackair – daily flights between Victoria Falls and Kasane airports.
• BA Comair – Johannesburg to Victoria Falls daily.
• Airlink – return Cape Town to Vic Falls on Monday, Wednesday,
Friday, and Sunday. Tuesday and Thursday flights will be added in August.
Domestic Flights to Victoria Falls
• Air Zimbabwe – flies Bulawayo - Victoria Falls - Harare every Monday,
Wednesday, Friday and Sundays. Please note that Air Zimbabwe flights may change
• FastJet – flies Harare to Victoria Falls daily return.
• FastJet – flies Harare to Bulawayo return daily except on Saturdays.
International Flights to Harare
• Emirates – flies Dubai to Harare return on Monday, Wednesday, Friday,
• Ethiopian Airlines – flies Addis to Harare return daily.
• SA Airlink – flies Johannesburg to Harare
(and Bulawayo) return daily. Also daily flights between Cape Town and Harare.
• BA Comair – daily return Johannesburg to Harare flights.
• Kenya Airways – flies Nairobi to Harare return 4 days a week (some flights via Lusaka).
• FastJet – operates two daily return flights from Johannesburg to Harare.
Here's information on Zambia's
Here's information on
Botswana's Covid-19 Updates
[Top of Page]
THE VIC FALLS BUSH TELEGRAPH
our Bi-Monthly E-Newsletter
Each issue has a destination update, loads of information about conservation and wildlife, specials offers, traveller tips, community projects, website highlights and tons more...
Find our more about our Bush Telegraph
"Your newsletter keeps me informed about new and old and is the best I've seen in a long while - informative, not commercial, just plain perfect!"
Don't worry. Your e-mail address is totally secure. I promise to use it
only to send you The Vic Falls Bush Telegraph.
Return from Zimbabwe Covid19 Latest Travel News to our home page