Zimbabwe Covid19 Latest Travel News
5th January 2021
These are the latest details that we are aware of regarding travel to Zimbabwe, during Covid-19.
We live in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe and will update this page with any amendments that we become aware of.
*On the 2nd January, the government of Zimbabwe announced new lockdown
measures, in line with a recent upsurge in the number of recorded Covid cases
around the country. These new measures are included in the information below.
• Zimbabwe's international airports remain open to receive international travellers.
• Zimbabwe's land borders are temporarily closed until the 4th
except for transportation of goods and returning residents.
• Travelling by air or road within Zimbabwe's borders is temporarily
restricted to essential services and confirmed travel itineraries. Proof of
reason for travel is required.
• Victoria Falls National Park is open for visitors to see the waterfall.
Normal opening hours apply.
Most hotels and lodges in Victoria Falls remain open.
Restaurants and bars in Zimbabwe are temporarily closed until the 4th February.
This excludes Restaurants in hotels
• Some activities are open in Victoria Falls.
• Please check
with us for the exact details on the above.
Arriving By Air
• All passengers arriving at Harare, Bulawayo or Victoria Falls International Airports are required to present a negative PCR COVID-19 Clearance Certificate obtained within 48 hours of boarding. Passengers can then proceed unless the officials believe a traveller to be symptomatic. They then may be required to undergo a further PCR test on arrival at the travellers own cost ($60).
• An Airport Official may also take passengers' temperatures. Anyone recording a temperature equal to or higher than 38°C will be tested for COVID-19.
• Travellers that test positive will then be required to go into local isolation for 10 days if they have no symptoms, or 13 days if they are symptomatic. Isolation is at the traveller's own expense.
• After isolation, travellers will need to be retested before they are permitted to travel home or on to their next destination.
• Travellers are to adhere to WHO COVID-19 standard practices at all times, such as maintaining social distancing, wearing a mask in public and practicing personal hygiene.
Arriving Through A Land Border
• Temporarily restricted to transportation of goods and returning residents
until the 4th February
• If your staying in Zimbabwe and your PCR certificate expires according to the requirements of your onward destination. PCR tests are available at all international airports, with result being returned within
3 to 6 hrs. In Victoria Falls test are available at some of the lodges or at the health bridge clinic in the town centre.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does one have to go into mandatory quarantine on arrival?
No, this is no longer a requirement. You only have to go into isolation if you are tested positive whilst in Zimbabwe.
Can one get a PCR test done in Zimbabwe?
Yes, PCR tests are available at Harare, Bulawayo and Victoria Falls international airports. They are also available at most clinics and hospitals throughout Zimbabwe. In Victoria Falls even some of the
hotels and lodges offer PCR tests for their clients.
How much does a PCR test cost?
The average price for a PCR test is $60
How long does it take to get the results?
The results are on average taking
3 to 6 hrs.
What will happen if a traveller gets infected while in the country?
They are required to go into an isolation centre for 10 days if they have no COVID-19 symptoms or 13 days if they are symptomatic. This will be at the traveller's own expense.
Are there curfew hours in Zimbabwe?
Yes, there is a curfew from 18h00 to 06h00
Does Zimbabwe have a high rate of Corona virus infections?
It is difficult to compare the numbers of cases with other countries as the amount of testing done in Zimbabwe is very few comparatively. However, the death rate attributed to the corona virus is very low at about 0.0022% of the population as of the date of this article.
Victoria Falls itself has seen comparatively very little evidence of the corona virus.
Flight Schedule to Zimbabwe
International Flights to Victoria Falls
• Ethiopian Airlines – flies Addis Ababa to Victoria Falls Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
• Kenya Airways – flies Nairobi to Victoria Falls return on Mondays and Thursdays
Domestic Flights to Victoria Falls
• Air Zimbabwe – flies Harare to Victoria Falls return every Monday, Wednesday and Friday
• FastJet – flies Harare to Victoria Falls return every Thursday and Sunday
• FastJet – flies Harare to Bulawayo return every Monday, Wednesday and Friday
International Flights to Harare
• Emirates – flies Dubai to Harare return twice a week
• Ethiopian Airlines – flies Addis to Harare return daily
• SA Airlink – flies Johannesburg to Harare return daily
[Top of Page]
| The Vic Falls Bush Telegraph |
our Free Quarterly E-Newsletter
Each quarter there's loads of information about conservation and wildlife, a destination update, specials offers and discount packages, traveller tips and stories, book reviews, African folktales, environmental reports, bush recipes, best photo competitions and tons more.... "Your newsletter keeps me informed about new and old and is the best I've seen in a long while - informative, not commercial, just plain perfect!" I.Skliros
This Quarter we are also giving away a Free Screensaver to Every New Subscriber.
Return from Zimbabwe Covid19 Latest Travel News to our home page