Botswana Covid19 Requirements
10th June 2021
These are the latest details that we are aware of regarding travel to
Botswana, during Covid-19. We will update this page with any amendments that we become aware of.
• All scheduled and non-scheduled international flights to major Airports are open,
i.e. Gaborone, Kasane and Maun airports.
• Land borders are open between Botswana and South Africa, Namibia and Zambia.
The Kazungula Bridge is now open connecting Botswana with Zambia.
• All passengers coming into Botswana need to present a negative SARS CoV-2 PCR test result. The test should be conducted within the previous 72 hours.
• Entry screening will be conducted at all ports of entry. All travellers
will need to take a Covid-19 Rapid Test (free of charge) on arrival.
Travellers arriving in Botswana will need to meet the following:
• Present a valid 72-hour negative COVID-19 Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) result from the time of testing.
• All travellers will be required to undergo a cost-free COVID-19 rapid test to gain entry into Botswana. If the test is positive or you show COVID-19 symptoms, you may need to undergo 14 days isolation or quarantine at your own expense.
• Travellers not meeting the above requirements will not be allowed entry into Botswana.
• For all Safari Air flights departing Maun or Kasane destined to lodges
in the Okavango Delta, Makgadikgadi or Chobe, etc., a valid 72-hour negative
COVID-19 PCR certificate OR a valid 72-hour negative RAPID Antigen test is
required to board the flight into the camps.
Travellers arriving into Namibia (Chobe Princess, Zambezi Queen, Ichingo
Lodge, Chobe Savanna Lodge) will need to meet the following:
• Present a valid negative COVID- 19 Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test result no older than 7 days from date of arrival in Namibia.
• Relevant temperature checks at ports of entry.
• Children below the age of 5 years will not be required to produce a PCR test.
• Travellers are to adhere to WHO COVID-19 standard practices at all times, such
as maintaining social distancing, wearing a mask in public and practicing
• Guests departing Botswana and Namibia (returning to Botswana) will be required to present a Negative COVID-19 Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) result no older than 72 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does one have to go into mandatory quarantine on arrival?
This is a
requirement if your Rapid Test comes out positive on arrival. Otherwise, you
only have to go into isolation if you are tested positive whilst in Botswana.
Can one get a PCR test done in Botswana?
Yes, PCR tests are available at
Lancet, Pharma Group and Diagnofirm Labs. Some of the hotels/lodges and even
safari camps in areas like the Okavango Delta can arrange PCR tests for their
clients. Testing has a 24 hour turn around time.
How much does a PCR test cost?
The average price for a PCR test is $100.
However, those arranged through remote safari camps can run up to $450 in order
to fly the testing administrator into and out of the area.
What will happen if a traveller gets infected while in the country?
They are required to go into an isolation centre for 14 days. This will be at the traveller's own expense.
Does Botswana have a high rate of Corona virus infections?
Botswana seems to be entering a third wave.
The death rate attributed to the corona virus is about
0.037% of the population as of the date of this article.
Flight Schedule to Botswana
International Flights to Gaborone
• Air Botswana – flies Johannesburg to Gaborone Monday to
Saturday, and an afternoon flight daily.
• SA Airlink – flies Johannesburg every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday
and Friday, and an afternoon one Sunday to Friday.
• Ethiopian Airlines – Victoria Falls to Gaborone on Tuesdays, Thursdays
International Flights to Maun
• SA Airlink – flies Johannesburg to Maun daily.
• SA Airlink – flies Cape Town to Maun on Tuesday and Saturday.
International Flights to Kasane
• SA Airlink – flies Johannesburg to Kasane daily.
• MackAir – flies Victoria Falls to Kasane daily.
• Air Botswana – flies Maun to Gaborone Sunday to Friday.
• Air Botswana – flies Maun to Kasane on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
[Top of Page]
THE VIC FALLS BUSH TELEGRAPH
our Bi-Monthly E-Newsletter
Each issue has a destination update, loads of information about conservation and wildlife, specials offers, traveller tips, community projects, website highlights and tons more...
Find our more about our Bush Telegraph
"Your newsletter keeps me informed about new and old and is the best I've seen in a long while - informative, not commercial, just plain perfect!"
Don't worry. Your e-mail address is totally secure. I promise to use it
only to send you The Vic Falls Bush Telegraph.
Return from Botswana Covid19 Requirements to our home page