Botswana Covid19 Requirements
Update: 24th June 2022 9am
These are the details that we are aware of regarding travel to
Botswana, during Covid-19. We will update this page with any amendments that we become aware of.
• Fully vaccinated travellers entering Botswana should show
proof that they have been fully vaccinated.
• Being "fully vaccinated" means having received two doses of a two-dose regiment, or a single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
• Partially vaccinated travellers will need to follow the same rules as
unvaccinated travellers (as below).
Unvaccinated or Partially Vaccinated Travellers
If the traveller is partially vaccinated or not vaccinated at all, they will
need to present a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of travel. In addition, they will need to get a Covid-19 test at the port of entry at own
cost. If negative, they will be allowed to proceed into the country. If they
test positive, they will need to isolate in the district of the port of entry at
own cost and allowed to proceed only after recovery.
• Travellers under the age of 12 are exempt from the above.
A valid negative RT-PCR test may be required by airlines/onward destinations when departing from Botswana. Destination country requirements must be taken into account by the agent/guest prior to departure and tests arranged accordingly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does one have to go into mandatory quarantine on arrival?
no mandatory quarantine on arrival. However, if you do not present proof of full
vaccination or a negative PCR test, you will be required to test on arrival and
stay in isolation (at your own cost) while waiting for test results.
Can one get a PCR test done in Botswana?
Yes, PCR tests are available at
Lancet, Pharma Group, Sidilega Hospital, National Health Laboratory, MRI Clinics,
Optimum Health Medical Laboratory, Gaborone Private Hospital Laboratory and Diagnofirm Labs
in Gaborone. In Maun, MRI Clinic, National Health Laboratory, CT Diagnostics Laboratory and Diagnofirm Labs
carry out PCR testing. In Kasane, the Weigh Bridge Clinic and Diagnofirm Labs
does PCR tests. Some of the hotels/lodges and even
safari camps in areas like the Okavango Delta can arrange PCR tests for their
clients. Testing generally has a 24 hour turn around time. Express testing in
Maun and Kasane with Diagnofirm has a turnaround time of 2 hours.
Botswana is registered with the Trusted Travel Initiative Platform, so it is recommended that testing be done with registered laboratories which include Lancet
(Gaborone), National Health Laboratory (Gaborone), Diagnofirm Labs (Gaborone,
Maun and Kasane) and CT Diagnostics Lab (Maun).
How much does a PCR test cost?
The average price for a PCR test is $100.
However, those arranged through remote safari camps can run up to $450 in order
to fly the testing administrator into and out of the area.
What will happen if a traveller gets infected while in the country?
Fully vaccinated people who test positive will need to go into self-isolation for a minimum of 5 days. Those who are partially or not vaccinated showing mild symptoms will need to self-isolate for a minimum of 7 days. Those who test positive, experience moderate to severe symptoms, whether fully vaccinated or not, will be required to isolate for a minimum of 10 days. Isolation will be at the traveller's own expense.
Does Botswana have a high rate of Corona virus infections?
The death rate attributed to the corona virus
in Botswana is about
0.111% of the population as of the date of this article.
Is there a curfew in Botswana?
There is no curfew in Botswana.
Flight Schedule to Botswana
International Flights to Gaborone
• Air Botswana – flies Johannesburg to Gaborone twice daily, seven
days a week, and Cape Town to Gaborone on
Fridays and Sundays.
• SA Airlink – flies multiple morning flights from Johannesburg
to Gaborone daily, and an afternoon one Sunday to Friday.
• Ethiopian Airlines – Victoria Falls - Gaborone flights on Sundays,
Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
International Flights to Maun
• Air Botswana – flies Johannesburg to Maun daily, except Saturdays.
• SA Airlink – flies Johannesburg to Maun daily.
• SA Airlink – flies Cape Town to Maun daily.
• FastJet – will start Victoria Falls to Maun flights from 30 June 2022 on
Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays.
International Flights to Kasane
• SA Airlink – flies daily return from Johannesburg to Kasane.
• Air Bostwana – flies Johannesburg to Kasane on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
• MackAir – flies between Victoria Falls and Kasane daily.
• Air Botswana – flies Maun to Gaborone on Tuesday, Thursday,
Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
• Air Botswana – flies Kasane to Gaborone Fridays and Sundays.
• Air Botswana – flies Maun to Kasane on Monday, Tuesdays,
Thursdays and Saturdays.
• Air Botswana – flies Francistown to Kasane every Wednesday.
Here's information on Zambia's
Here's information on
Zimbabwe's Covid-19 Updates
[Top of Page]
THE VIC FALLS BUSH TELEGRAPH
our Bi-Monthly E-Newsletter
Each issue has a destination update, loads of information about conservation and wildlife, specials offers, traveller tips, community projects, website highlights and tons more...
Find out more about our Bush Telegraph
"Your newsletter keeps me informed about new and old and is the best I've seen in a long while - informative, not commercial, just plain perfect!"
Don't worry. Your e-mail address is totally secure. I promise to use it
only to send you The Vic Falls Bush Telegraph.
Return from Botswana Covid19 Requirements to our home page