|Zimbabwe is open for tourism. We look forward to welcoming you!|
|Follow the link for Zimbabwe Covid-19 Latest Travel News.|
Getting Around Victoria Falls Zimbabwe
A small town with loads of attractions, Victoria Falls is not difficult to get around, and you can enjoy all that is offered
Getting around Victoria Falls is actually quite easy. The town of Victoria Falls and the Falls themselves are within walking distance of each other – as you arrive the ever present “smoke” from the Falls very quickly orientates you as to the lay out of the town. The Falls are literally situated at the end of the main road into town. See our Victoria Falls Map.
Getting From Victoria Falls Airport to Victoria Falls Town
If travelling by air the first thing you would need to think about is getting in from the Victoria Falls airport which is about 22kms out of town.
A Wild Horizons transfer vehicle
• Private Airport Transfer - If the incoming planes are full it can take quite some time for all passengers to clear customs, especially as seeing many of the international travellers will be needing visa. If you are booked on a standard transfer even if you are through first you will have to wait for all clients booked on that transfer to get through. If you are only in town for a couple of days this can cut short your time there. To avoid this you can book a private transfer, the price will vary depending how many in your group. Contact us via this Enquiry Form to quote and arrange this for you.
• Taxi - There are taxis around at the airport for every flight. Expect to pay about US$30 to $40 to get into town, if you are a good negotiator you can get this down to about $25. The taxi obviously carries at least 4 passengers so if you are in a group it is a good option. They will only take US$ cash or equivalent foreign currency cash.
Getting From Livingstone Airport to Victoria Falls Town
If you have taken advantage of the cheaper flights into Livingstone but now need to get across to Zimbabwe where you are staying, read on...
• Airport Transfers - Just like transfers from the Victoria Falls airport in Zimbabwe there are numerous companies that offer a meet and greet airport service from Livingstone to Victoria Falls Zimbabwe - Shearwater, Wild horizons, Adventure zone and Falcon Safaris tours to name a few. The rate for an airport transfer is about US$24 per person one way. We can arrange this for you taking the hassle away from you. You will be greeted at the airport by a driver with your name on a board. Contact us via this Enquiry Form to arrange your transfer, it's quick and easy. Private transfers can also be arranged, if time is an issue for you and you don't want to be waiting around for other passenger on the standard transfer to clear customs.
• Taxi - Unfortunately you cannot catch just a single taxi to pick you up at Livingstone and drop you in Zimbabwe, because there is a border in between and the taxis do not have the required permission to cross. Therefore you will need to catch 3 taxis, one from Livingstone airport to the Zambian border post (+/- $25). Clear Zambian customs then catch another taxi across the bridge between the two border posts this is about 1.6kms (+/-$5) clear Zimbabwe customs and then catch another taxi to your hotel (+/- $5). These prices are per taxi not per person.
Getting Around Victoria Falls - In and Around Town
• Walking - Once you are in the town then the option of walking always seems like the best. This is really very safe and although at mid day in the summer it can get very hot – certainly it is how most tourists – get around. As locals we do walk around at night – but would suggest that you do take care if you do decide to walk and that you don’t go alone where ever possible. As with any place in the world crime does exist. Please be aware of the wild life that you might encounter. Elephants frequent the town centre regularly.
• Shuttle Service - There is a free shuttle service that runs hourly from most hotels and lodges to the town centre, the other hotels and the Falls themselves so getting around Victoria Falls is really very easy.
• Taxis are available, most places you are staying at will call them for you or you will find them in the town centre and around and about. A fare anywhere is generally $5 to $10.
• Bicycles are available for hire in the town centre between the Information centre and Wild Horizons booking office on Park Way. These cost $5 for one hour, $10 for half day and $20 for a full day.
• Victoria Falls bike tours are also available - this is about a 13km circuit around Vic Falls town, starting and ending at The Lookout. The tour takes you into the local township to see and experience the local culture, to the big tree, along the Zambezi River and down to the Victoria Falls Bridge. (more info)
Bike tour in Victoria Falls, cycling through the bush
Getting to the Various Activities
If you have booked on one of the many activities to do in the Falls, transport is provided for most of the activities by all the tour operators. When you make your activity booking you will be asked, which hotel or lodge you want to be collected from. There is also a central collection point in town, so getting around Victoria Falls activities is simple.