“The Flight of Angels” aptly refers to the Helicopter Flights over and around Victoria Falls.
It originated from the phrase coined by David Livingstone when he first documented discovering the falls: “Scenes so lovely must have been gazed upon by Angels in Their Flight”. I think it is a great name, it describes this activity perfectly as it is surely one of the finest experiences you can have.
At ground level you can feel the enormous power of the Victoria Falls as tremendous volumes of water pound into the chasm below. But it is only when you take to the air that you can take in the whole panorama and enormity of this mighty spectacle.
As you look upstream you can see the lazy wide Zambezi River as it meanders along its course.
There are hundreds of islands and you can see all the wildlife going about its daily business.
Then as if a line is drawn the water plummets over a knife edge, at this point the river is almost one kilometre wide but is immediately reduced to a width of no more than 50m contained within a deep canyon.
But what’s even more spectacular is that as you look downstream you can see the zigzag of the gorges. These show a story in time as each one represents a different Victoria Falls from thousand of years ago, as the river has eroded the softer sandstone in the fault lines between the Basalt and cut its way upstream over the ages.
Up there in the air you can look at a millennia in time in just one gaze.
Sadly the Victoria Falls helicopter flight is pretty pricey for most of us but if you can get the money together it well worth it.
There are 2 different Victoria Falls Helicopter options available:
The first is a 12/13 minute flight which takes off from Elephant hills heli pad, which is just a few kilometres upstream of the Falls.
The flight takes you over the falls several times in both directions, the pilot’s bank the helicopters as you circle so you can really see right into the chasm of the falls.
You can see the towns of Victoria falls in Zimbabwe and Livingstone in Zambia and all the hotels which is quite impressive and you can see up and down stream very clearly.
The second option is a 25 minute flight which starts off exactly like the shorter flight but then takes you for an enthralling Game viewing flight upstream along the Mighty Zambezi and the adjoining Zambezi National Park.
You are likely to see quite a bit of Game including many hippo in the river. The scenery is breathtaking and this is an unforgettable experience
All trips include
• The operators offer a courtesy pick up and drop off from anywhere in the Victoria Falls town centre and all the major hotels.
What to bring
• There are no dress requirements
• No Age restriction, children need to be accompanied by adult or guardian
• A minimum of 2 guests to confirm a flight
Pick up times
• All pickups are half an hour before flying time.
Indemnity and insurance
• Shearwater adventures has a Public Liability insurance cover of US$2 million per incident, which is underwritten by Lloyds of London.
• All Victoria Falls helicopter 's have radios, which enable them to have radio communications with the civil Aviation Central Tower, Helipad and Mars.
Videos and Photos
• Professional personalised video production of the flight is available for viewing and purchase at the end of your flight.
Share with others!