Hwange Accommodation | Camp Hwange Lodge
Camp Hwange Lodge
Easy access and a great location on a premier wildlife concession makes Camp Hwange without doubt one of the Best Safari Options in Hwange National Park
Elephants playing in front of the camp's main lodge
This camp is situated in the central north of Hwange National Park with access normally via the Sinamatella gate. There are only a few commercial camps in this part of the park, which maintains a nice level of exclusivity. Located on its own private concession, approximately 3hrs drive from Victoria Falls this camp is without doubt one of the best safari options available in Hwange.
The camp overlooks a permanently pumped water hole which is part of the Shumba Pans complex but of particular interest in this part of the park is the diversity of terrain from open savannahs to Teak and Mopani woodlands and rocky outcrops. Game and birdlife is plentiful – more than enough to satisfy even a seasoned Safari traveller.
Camp Hwange has all the luxuries one would need but it’s not opulent, it’s comfortable. The Camp’s focus is rather on quality guiding and ensuring their guests have the best safari experience possible. They tailor make the day’s activities to suit their clients requirements and their goal is to give more than just a great safari - they want it to be an experience of life.
Co-owner, director and guide; Dave Carson is a well-respected Zimbabwean professional guide and his personal vested interest sets this privately owned camp apart from some of the other camps which belong to larger corporate groups.
On offer are safaris on foot and by vehicle accessing parts of the park rarely seen by anyone else. Their guides have a passion and knowledge for the African bush and wildlife which goes beyond the norm as can be seen from the incredible feedback that the camp receives. Positioned by the waterhole in front of camp is a hide constructed from Mopani poles, this is a great place to sit quietly and watch game come to within a few feet of you. Being on a private concession, night drives are also available.
Camp Hwange has 8 tented/canvas en suite chalets with thatched roofs, each with a view of a permanent waterhole. Hot water in all of the rooms is facilitated by solar power, and the building materials used to construct the chalets blend with the natural environment. The central area at Camp Hwange has a spacious lounge with comfortable couches a dining area and a well-stocked bar. The tasteful décor is simple yet totally in keeping with an African safari camp making you feel that you’re in the right place. A favourite place for guests is sitting around the camp fire in front of the main area where you can watch the sun rise over tea or coffee before embarking on the day’s activities, or recount stories from the day over sundowners, all this under an immense starry sky.
• Situated on a premier private wildlife concession, with plentiful game and birdlife
• International rates on par with other top camps
• A 3 hour/175km road transfer from Victoria Falls, the closest of all the top lodges.
• Eco-friendly canvas chalets and comfortable main lounge and dining area
• Emphasis on quality guiding and the safari experience rather than the luxury trimmings
• Game activities tailor made to suit your requirements
• Permanent waterhole in front of camp with secure hide for those close up encounters
• Diversity of habitat from open plains to woodland and rocky outcrops
• Ideal for an seasoned or first time safari travellers
• Co-owners and directors actively involved in guiding and managing this camp
• No SADC rates
Accommodation• 8 tented chalets with thatched roofs overlooking the waterhole with double or twin beds
All rooms have:• En-suite bathroom with solar heated showers and washbasin
• Ceiling fan
• Gauze windows to keep insects out
• Digital safe
• Mosquito nets
• Mobile lamp
• Storage chest
Advantages• Easily accessible by road transfer from Victoria Falls (3hrs) half of this through the park
• Premier wildlife concession with exceptional game viewing
• Situated in the less commercial central north of the park
• Camps focus is on expert guiding from some of Zimbabwe’s best professional guides
• Co-owners and directors actively involved in guiding and managing camp
• Great waterhole views from all rooms and central lounging and dining area
• Solar powered showers
• Game viewing hide for close up animal encounters
Disadvantages• No SADC rates
• The design and decor is not quite as fancy as some of the other Safari lodges (which is not really a disadvantage - just saying)
• Transfers to and from Camp Hwange are not inclusive in the rates
Dining• 3 meals are provided and local beverages, inclusive of the rate.
• Picnic lunches, teas, drinks and snacks are provided during game drives and pump runs.
Facilities and Services• Solar powered lighting and water heating
• Lounge, restaurant, bar and library in main lodge
• Outside fire pit
• Laundry service
• Bird watching
• Game watching in the hide
• Walking safaris
• Game drives (day and night)
Fully Inclusive Rates Include• Accommodation
• All meals and local soft drinks, beers, wines and spirits
Fully Inclusive Rates Exclude• All transfers to and from Camp Hwange
• Imported wines and spirits
• Conservation fees $10 per person per night
How to Get There
• Charter flight from Victoria Falls to the Sinamatela airstrip where a Camp Hwange vehicle will collect you
• Self-drive guests can access easily through the Mbala boom gate and Sinamatella. Turn into Hwange town and take the road to the Hwange National Park; drive another 40km into the park to get to Camp Hwange.
Children• Children under 8 are allowed only by special arrangement
• Children must be accompanied by a parent at all times
Share with others!
Can't find what you are looking for? Use Google Search to search this
site for any term you are looking for..