A small family/friendly lodge located on a private concession in the Sikumi Forest – approximately 30kms from the Main Gate of Hwange National Park
Ivory Lodge is located on a private concession of 6 000 acres in the Sikumi Forest Reserve just 3kms off the main Victoria Falls – Bulawayo Road and 24 km from the main entrance gate to Hwange National park. (see map)
The lodge has two types of accommodation.
The popular Tree Houses and the latest addition the Presidential Elephant Suites (named after the well know Presidential Herd that frequent the concession).
The seven tree houses are quaintly built on raised wooden platforms with large open mesh widows to the front offering elevated views of the open floodplain and watering hole.
The Presidential suites are slightly elevated off the ground on wooden decks. Their private balcony allows guest to enjoy the view and some well-earned relaxation between game activities.
The lodge has a large thatched central area where the bar, dining area and reception is located. The swimming pool nestles in the lush green and shady grounds, which is home to a vast number of birds and the occasional family of warthog and mongoose.
However the well positioned hide just a short walk from the main area which offers the best views proves to be a favourite with the guest a place to just sit and enjoy the every changing scenery up close – this can often be the Presidential Herd enjoying a cool and refreshing drink. The water hole is also frequented by a number of plains game species, buffalo and if you are very lucky lion.
The lodge grounds are enclosed with a fence for the safety of guests both during the day and at night, which adds to the family friendly environment.
Activities offered at Ivory Lodge include 4x4 drives into the well known Hwange National Park, as well as night drives and game walks on their private concession. In addition to the wildlife activities, guests can visit the local village and school to learn about the lives of the community and the work that the lodge is involved together with them. Guests can often enjoy a local singing and dance group before dinner.
Although the waterhole in front of the lodge is well used and the private concession is home to large herds of elephant and buffalo, we feel that the better game viewing is experienced in the Hwange National Park. With this in mind the distance from the lodge along a tar road and the time both at the beginning and end of an activity should be taken into consideration.
Ivory Lodge in our opinion is a good option for self-drives wanting to explore Hwange National Park or an overnight stay on their way through to Vic Falls from Bulawayo.
• Located outside the Hwange national park on a private concession, 24 km from the main camp, national park entrance gate.
How to Book
Accommodation at Ivory Lodge
• 7 thatched treehouse rooms and 2 luxury elevated suites.
All rooms have:• Ceiling fan
• Mosquito nets over the beds
• En-suite bathrooms with washbasin and shower (and bathtub in luxury suites)
• Storage shelves
• All rooms are fairly open and therefore electric blankets are offered in the winter.
Dining• Communal Dining
• Hearty family meals with buffet and cooked breakfast, 2-course lunch and 3-course dinner.
Facilities and Services• Main lodge area includes lounges, dining area, swimming pool and reception
• 220V electricity supply
• Hide located at the waterhole – access directly from the lodge grounds
• Laundry service
• Activities: Game drives; Game Walks; Bird watching, visit to the Painted Dog Centre
Fully Inclusive Rates Include
Fully Inclusive Rates Exclude• Conservation Levy
• Painted Dog Conservancy entry fees – entry by donation
• Private transfers
All Children are welcome at Ivory Lodge. Special rates for children under 12years. There are Family units at Ivory Lodge.
How to Get to Ivory Lodge
• Self-Drive's are welcome only 2.5 km off the main Bulawayo – Vic Falls road. Distance from Bulawayo 258km and Victoria Falls 180kms.
How to Book